|Crew Safety Training
Deficiencies in the training of crew on ferries and other inland water vessels were cited as one of the four main causes of ferry fatalities by the Bangladesh Ferry Safety Working Group (government, owners, operators, labor, academics and NGOs).
- The Bangladesh Department of Shipping identified six arenas that needed attention for crew training. For each of these arenas, a training module was developed.
- Interferry members provided information for the modules whose information was generic.
- IMO retained a consultant to go to Bangladesh to get site-specific information. IMO also retained Videotel to make the training course look professional.
- Interferry had the course translated into Bangla.
- The Shipping Department modified the course to make it two days; arranged for the course to given to 100 crew in two sessions; prepared an informative video to supplement the course; and pre- and post-tested the students.
Download a small sample of the training modules by clicking the links, below:
Register by email to ferrysafety at gmail dot com. To register, provide your name and contact information.